Sunday, February 1, 2009

Monduli - the school





Jan 15 - 24

The volunteers I stayed with were working at a secondary school that Peter (the director) opened last year. The school is funded fully by overseas donations. It has 40 students who are specifically selected from the most poorest families in the area. The students are wonderful and very grateful for the work of the teachers and donors and I enjoyed interacting with them. They are taught normal secondary school subjects - in English - with a strict rule of not speaking Swahili (their native language) while at school, and I was quite impressed by their English ability.

This photo is of the teachers - Hunter, Cacow (Tanzanian teacher), Kit, Jane and Peter (Director).








I had the opportunity to teach the kids some games. "Kingdoms" was very popular - we all had lots of fun and much laughter!


I walked to the school with Kit and Jane a couple of times. It took 1 1/2 hours to walk from Monduli, past farm land. We'd soon have a trail of giggling children behind us. One day I was walking home on my own, and almost immediately, little kids came out of nowhere to follow. I grinned at them, and said I was going to do some running. They thought that was real fun -running with me - with huge smiles on their faces. It would have given them something to talk about for a least a month... the day they ran with a wasungu. And I think it would have been quite a sight to onlookers.
some of the kids that we passed on the way to the school

No comments:

Post a Comment