Wednesday, January 21, 2009

African Contrasts









Africa is a place full of contrasts! My trip has been so full of unique experiences & interactions, challenges and excitement!

I haven't been able to use the internet much - not surprising - since connections here are very bad and slow, and I haven't had time to sit in front of a computer till now!

So, I will attempt to create an interesting read of the amazing time I've had so far!

SOUTH AFRICA
It has been 4 weeks since I set foot in Africa. The first week was spent in the Drakensberg Mountains in South Africa. I arrived on Sat 27th Dec at Johannesburg Airport where I met Aunty Sharon (mum's sister) - with a recently discovered cousin, Michael, (from South
Africa), and drove 3 hours to the 'Berg's'. Michael and his family own a holiday lodge there. The scenery there was stunning. We woke up every morning to a beautiful mountain range, and when the mist had parted, we could see the 'Ampitheatre's' - a 3000m high rock cliff face of an extensive mountain range.
We met some wonderful people there - all relatations of Michael's wife, and they all made sure that Sharon and I had a fantastic time! There are no wild animals that can eat you in this area or other crazy happenings - so it felt quite safe (which is very rare in South Africa) to
wonder around - even on your own. So all in all, it was a more sanitised start to my African experience. But a lovely start!

We did a few hikes in the mountains. Which I thouroughly enjoyed. Hugging faces, green rolling hills, entering mini oasis's in the mountain valleys, beautiful gorges and waterfalls! I loved it!
Michael and his extended family also took Sharon and I on a motorbike / 4x4 trip to a small remote country in the middle of South Africa - Lesotho. Again, more stunning scenery! And totally wild sitting on the back of a motorbike, absorbing the atmosphere! I saw in Lesotho what I'd see later in Tanzania - the way some of the tribal communities live. The road through was all dirt, rocky and muddy at times, so it was pretty adventurous, and at times quite thrilling with extremely steep treacherous and narrow! I had a lot of faith in my driver - Anthony - who was very experienced. So no crashes! We passed round mud huts with thatched rooves, little children running, waving excitedly and sometimes desparately and calling out for sweets or money. On the back of the bike, I could smell the cattle, and the green hills, mixed with cooking aromas and other things. Our bike got bogged while in the middle of a herd of donkeys and goats. I had to get off with all the braying noisy animals to let Anthony get the bike moving. This would have been a funny sight-I would have looked like a
weird spaceman in my bike gear / helmet / gloves to the shepherds- in their blankets.


Treacherous, steep rocky road down SANI PASS


We had some other exciting adventures - including mountain bike riding, swimming, a giant swing and flying fox (that South African's call a 'Fuffy Slide'). As well as eating scrumptious food and having fantastic conversation! (and a few luxirious sleep-ins!).

No comments:

Post a Comment