Saturday, October 3, 2009

Prague

Rich in history, culture and landscape beauty, Prague is a fascinating city full of colour, character and charm. The buildings in the old part of the city are wonderful. Each one unique in colour with ornate, detailed decorative architecture, yet still conforming to an overall theme. The people of Prague are exciting, and like the buildings - rich in colour, character and uniqueness. They are friendly, laid back, gentle and seem to have a joy to life.

Coffee’s terrible!

The history of Prague is staggering, I am still finding it hard to comprehend the age of some buildings / churches. Prague was also a place that Mozart visited frequently. His ‘summer’ house is now a museum.






I’ve been wandering the streets, absorbing the atmosphere, and falling in love with the place. A feast for my eyes! A river meanders through the city, with many bridges connecting the two sides of the city. Across the river from the ‘old town’ centre, stands Prague Castle proud, austere, on a hill. You cant miss it. A massive church, stands right next to it - magnificently tall! The surrounding areas of the Castle are gorgeous gardens and pathways through forested areas. I came across a secluded little garden grotto yesterday, and sat there for a while, enjoying the peace and tranquility away from the bustling crowds and city noises.

I’ve been to a few churches (I think that's what you do when you're in Europe) - and I remain amazed at their opulence. Fresco’s painted on high ceilings, ornate carvings and statues in marble, gold and silver, stained glass windows - art works in themselves. St Nicholas, apparently began in C13th and wasn’t completed till C18th. (actually, I think I totally have my facts wrong there... it's not even called St Nicholas... and I made up the dates - but either way, it took a few centuries for it to be finished!)


I remember when I saw St Peter’s Basilica in Rome a few years ago. At the time, I thought that the opulence was a bit over-excessive. But one thing I do appreciate is that great art takes time. That is what this city is. Art. Art with time, care and humanity . Every detail counts.

**** 
Despite my claim to have a good sense of direction, (I know many people who would dispute this) I’ve managed to catch the tram heading the opposite way to where I’m headed 3 times! (3 different tram lines I have to add!). When I first arrived in Prague, I navigated my way out of the airport, into the city, following the directions the Hostel had given me. It was about 7pm, so I figured taking the public transport option would be safe enough, and more exciting. A bus, a train, and then a tram. I was pretty proud of myself until I was standing on the tram looking out at a beautiful lit-up square. I didn’t think this was where I was meant to be, and on sudden instict jumped off the tram. Typically, I hadn’t read the directions completely - which had indicated to ‘cross over’ the tram lines - ie the tram going the other way! But not to worry, I just waited till the next tram came, and enjoyed the surrounding ambience while waiting. The other 2 times, I ended up right at the end of the tram line! And last night, distracted by my own thoughts and excitement after hearing the Czech Philharmonic perform (woohoo), I found myself at the end of a tram line at about 10pm in the middle of no-where with no-one about! Luckily the trams run every 10 minutes! So maybe, my sense of direction isn’t all that hot…or maybe it’s my lack of "situational awareness" (Julia, that's for you :).

Coffee’s still bad!
(even with Sugar)



Saturday 3/10/09
It’s a stunning sunny day today. Everyone is out and about. I’ve been wandering around the forested hill again, up to the Castle, watched the crowds forming around for the ‘changing of the guard’ and enjoyed the feeling of the cobbled stone pavement beneath my feet. I now have 2 new room mates. A middle-aged French-man, and an Alaskan girl, Leanne, about my age. Leanne and I had a good chat - which was a welcome relief after spending too much time chatting inside my head for the past couple of days!

I discovered another garden sanctuary - an ancient hilltop fortress next to a cemetery that contains the graves of Smetana and Dvorak...(but I couldn't find them...). I sat on a bench for a some time, eating my exciting lunch - tuna and tomato on rice crackers - seriously, it was a great lunch! - and enjoying the sunshine, autumn leaves, passers-by and my book. A perfect afternoon.

I seem to be blending in quite well with the Czechs. I thought I'd immediately be identified as a tourist! But I've had quite a few people come up to me and talk to me in Czech - asking directions or making some unknown statement...I then have to break the news that Czech is not my first language.

Tea's much better. :)


Another fascinating thing is that people bring their dogs onto the trams. On the tram this evening, there were 4 dogs! A big one next to me got very excited as a little dog jumped onboard...I wonder if there are ever dog commotions on trams?!

Tomorrow I'm taking a day trip out of Prague. Monday, I move on to a town south east of Prague.





1 comment:

  1. How can the coffee be bad? You`re in europe!!! Its not north america!!!!

    ReplyDelete